This experience is truly unique, combining language learning, community engagement, and regular courses with local students. It also provides you with the opportunity to really engage in Mexican culture and obtain a wider view of Mexico through the discovery of different cities, regions and ethnicities.
This program consists of 4 weeks of Spanish + community volunteer work in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas and 19 weeks enrolled in the University in Guanajuato.
This program is available for the Spring Semester and the Fall Semester
- Volunteer and battle poverty by empowering indigenous women in Chiapas
- Take intensive Spanish course of 45 hours during your stay in Chiapas
- Participate in many trips and excursions while in Chiapas and Guanajuato
- Live with a Mexican host family throughout your entire stay
- Take classes at the University of Guanajuato and earn up to 15 US credits
What to Expect
The program will start with a 3-day orientation in the city of Guanajuato followed by a 25-day community engagement opportunity in the municipality of San Cristobal de la Casas in Chiapas. After this eye opening experience, the group will return to Guanajuato to pursue a semester enrolled with local students at the University of Guanajuato.
During their semester in Guanajuato participants will continue to immerse in the culture through different activities, trips and excursions.
Enrollment at the University of Guanajuato up to 4 courses
Housing & Meals
Mi casa es su casa, is a very popular Mexican saying that means 'My home is your home'. Our host families go through a careful screening process to make sure they've met all the conditions required and are eager to host you.
Your homestay will provide:
- A private room with a bed, closet, and a desk
- Three meals a day
- Filtered water
- Your laundry washed once a week (optional)
- Friendship, integration as a family member, conversation in Spanish and advice when appropriate
Home cooked meals made by your host family (full board: Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner + Snacks)
Guanajuato is known as the place of frogs. Guanajuato was first popularized after silver veining was found in the areas, which have since become a UNESCO world heritage site. This charming city is small enough to be discovered completely on foot.